Thursday, August 20, 2009

Jay Reatard - Watch Me Fall

Tuesday marked the release of Jay Reatard's thrid full length album Watch Me Fall on Matador Records. As with so many bands which eluded me during college, I'm playing catch up. I have read that this release is somewhat of an evolution for Jay, but what I hear is a very punk inspired indie rock album: punk enthusiasm tempered with indie sensibilities, if you will. Jay has a great voice, alternating pleasantly sung melodies with oi-type shouts and near screams. This one definately has some angst, but it is curiously blended with a musical instinct that generates more depth than few chords and 2 minutes ought to provide. The stand out tracks for me were "My Reality" and "Faking It."

While it won't be my favorite album, I've listened to it more times than I thought I would, and it would be a great soundtrack for the hipster's drive to go surfing. You know, you don't want something so over the top as the Dead Kennedy's, but rather something energetic to fuel your stoke for the waves. Jay Reatard is your ticket.

Also, if you want to sample before you buy, Matador is offering a free promo track (below).

Jay Reatard - "Wounded" .mp3

Then buy the album.

No comments: