Thursday, September 24, 2009

Why? - Eskimo Snow


Why? released Eskimo Snow today on Anticon Records. The new album is somewhat more mellow and slower paced than last years Alopecia, but the important essence of the band is still present. What critical bit is this, you ask? In this case one you'll be surprised for me to note: the lyrics. While I hardly ever pay attention to the meaning of sung words, Why?'s lyrics are so infectious and clever that I'm constantly distracted by them and chuckling at the irony and wit in which they steep. In one of my favorites is from "Into the Shadows of My Embrace." While reflecting on contradictory claims that sex keeps you young and ages you, frontman Yoni Wolf quips "So I guess it's sorta like smoking and walking at the same time...in that it will have left you aged normally." This brilliant bit of wit has its like in nearly every track, making the album worthy of your attention even if you only listen through one time for the lyrical genius. But by the end of that listen, it is likely the music will have infected you. Buy it here.

Why? will also be visiting SB soon. At 9pm, on Sunday, October 18, Why? plays an 18+ show at the Velvet Jones. They bring with them two guests: Au and Serengeti & Polyphonic. I'm a casual fan of Au as well, so this bill is a no brainer. Tickets are $13.50 here or at the door.

No comments: