Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Album Review: Metric - Fantasies


In the past, I haven't been much of a Metric fan (though I did watch The Go! Team next to bassist Joshua Winstead at Coachella). Don't get me wrong: their music has energy and is interesting, but it never grabbed me enough to get me to listen to a song more than once or twice. But the new album strikes me differently. "Help I'm Alive" is fantastically catchy, and I'm intoxicated by the counterpoint between the keys and guitars in "Collect Call". And I've got to give props to their producer and sound engineer in addition to the band. The recording is super clean as is the performance. It is rare to hear an album with this much polish come out on an indie label, especially when it is self-produced.

Overall characterization: distorted lo-fi pop with subtle synths and effects pedals.

Preview the album on the band's myspace page. Buy it here.

Track list:
1. Help I'm Alive
2. Sick Muse
3. Satellite Mind
4. Twilight Galaxy
5. Gold Guns Girls
6. Gimme Sympathy
7. Collect Call
8. Front Row
9. Blindness
10. Stadium Love

No comments: